Wednesday, June 4, 2014

I Made My Bed Today

I made my bed today. Bragging about it here on the blog sounds kind of silly, but it is true. I don't usually make my bed. I do it so rarely that the bed will get made maybe only half the time that the sheets and pillow cases get changed for cleaning. I'll also make the bed when I'm giving my room a thorough cleaning like I do every couple months. Beyond that though I rarely make my bed. I never saw the point in it to be honest with you. I mean, the next evening I'm just going to get back into the bed, right? No one is going to see my bed either, so it's not like presentation matters.



Then I read this.

I'm not interested in changing the world. I mean, sure, I hope to someday. I hope to leave a mark. I hope to make my attempt at immortality, but changing the world isn't a super high priority. I'm just selfish that way. Changing my life for the better though? That I'm interested in.

Like everyone I have hopes, wants, goals, and dreams. I have aspirations. I have things that I want to do long term, and often times those long term things lose the fight against the short term things that just pop up. Conquering that is a a goal. Structuring my life so that I can make progress towards the things I want long term is a necessity. So I'm starting small.

Today, I made my bed.

It isn't a big deal. It isn't a huge thing. It is, however, something. I started my day today by making my bed. No matter what, that means at the end of the day I have a made bed to go to sleep in and that should be nice. It also means, like the man in the article said, that I started my day by accomplishing something. Then I came to work and I accomplished something else. To tell the truth, I've already accomplished several somethings today and it all started with making my bed.

This morning I made my bed. Tonight, when I get home, I'm going to write. I'm not going to write a huge amount, maybe just a bit more than 500 words and we'll see what really happens. I'm going to go for a short walk. Tomorrow when I wake up I'm going to make my bed again. Why?

Because when you look closely at a big thing you'll see that it is actually made up of little things. Walking a hundred miles is a daunting task, but I'd be willing to bet we're all a lot closer - assuming we haven't finished already - of having done it then we realize from all those steps taken that we didn't think about. Small things can be done. Do enough of them and it adds up to something huge. Maybe you can change the world. Me? I'm just hoping to change myself.

I made my bed this morning. What did you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment