Wednesday, November 5, 2014

NaNoWriMo Update #1 - A Hopeful Start

As of this writing it is the beginning of the day on November 5th and my NaNo word count - after 4 days of writing - sits at just over 15,000 words. This has me well on track for a 100k NaNo, which isn't the plan but awesome none the less.



So far the writing has been going well. The words are coming smoothly, the scenes are sailing by, and I'm making good progress. Every day I feel the urge to write. I want to work on this story, and it is a want that is bashing other desires over the head. I'm not sure how long this will last - Honeymoon's are traditionally only a fortnight or about the first 15k for novels - but I intend to enjoy it while it lasts.

Interestingly enough, both projects I'm workig on are going well. Yes, that's right, I said both projects. In October I began working on a story and it was nearly at 20 chapters when November came around. I didn't want to shelve it, but I also knew November needed to be about the NaNo project. However, due to the particulars of my NaNo story it isn't something I feel comfortable working on while at my day job.

The NaNo project is very much a not safe for work story. The first 13k or so were fairly clean - aside from the MC being mauled by a giant dog anyhow - but the rest? Sex, violence, murder, nakedness, rough sex, and more violence and murder are in almost every chapter. It would be bad enough to be caught reading that at work, but to be writing? Something tells me, lunch break or no, that I'd be asked to stop.

By contrast, the other story is a YA Action/Adventure story with the fun working title of Airships & Aliens. While there is the potential for sex in the stor, it would be off screen. The violence is more pulse-pounding action packed dog fights between highly advanced war planes instead of the viscera of blood and guts. This story is perfectly fine to be worked on on lunch breaks.

And so that is exactly what I am doing. I work on the YA project at work on breaks. I work on the Horror/Supernatural NaNo project at home. Progress on the YA story has slowed (work has been busy lately) but it is continuing forward. Work on the other story...well, 15k in 4 days of writing is a solid rate of progress.

It's just a question of how long it'll hold up at this rate. I'm hoping through November. I'm really hoping for November and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment